NEW BLOGS ARTICLE

Question regarding backlights with the Casio G-Shock Watches.


So, I'm new to purchasing a Casio G-Shock watch for myself and have a few questions.. mainly about the back lights the watches have for now.

I'm wondering if someone could show me pictures of the following descriptions of lights:

1. Auto LED Backlight (Super Illuminator)
2. Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
3. EL Backlight with Afterglow
4. Full Auto LED Light with Afterglow
5. LED Backlight (Super Illuminator)
6. Backlight Auto LED Backlight (Super Illuminator) with Afterglow

These are just some of the descriptions off of the website. What's the difference of all of these?

I want to find a watch that has this type of light (He turns it on at "2:00")-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRoIi...eature=related

So if anyone could clarify what the different back lights are for the G-Shock watches are with pictures of examples, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

----------------------------

How does it work?
Does it have accelerometers so that it turns on the back light for a few seconds every time the watch faces up?
Does it self-disable when battery is low?
Since these watches are solar powered, then the more light they get in the day, the more backlight time they can give?

I like watches with tritium gas tubes (like Ball, Luminox) because I don't need to hit a button to make it light up in the dark, as you would with a most digital watches and cellphones. Non-radioactive lumes don't last long enough.

Does G-Shock's Auto EL give you the same no-hands-see-time-in-darkness capability as tritium?

---------------------

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRoIi...eature=related"  That's an LED light in that video. Typically LED lights use......... Well, you guessed it! LEDs. They are usually brighter than EL backlights, but they shine in from the sides.

I don't have the time to post pictures now, but EL backlights light up the entire panel, making for easier reading.

The "Super illuminator" is just a fancy name for a backlight in general, I think.

An "afterglow" is the glowing of the panel after you have pressed the light button and the light has gone off. I can't imagine why anyone would need that. Never in my life have I been able to make use of this "feature".

An "auto" backlight allows you to activate the backlight simply by tilting your wrist towards you, like when you are reading the watch. It may come in useful for some, but personally I find that they activate themselves way too easily and frequently than I would need.

I've used digital watches without backlights, with vintage lightbulbs, with LEDs and with EL backlights and I have to say that EL backlights are my top choice, hands down.

-----------------------







I got few of these LED backlight models. I believe they have Auto-Illumination, but I hardly use it on Battery powered model.

Dual Illuminators are also cool:



But I rather stick to the old EL Backlight, specially the Full Auto Illuminator on Tough Solar models (Turns on when you twist your wrist towards you only in the dark).



Oh, and afterglow only means the light stays on for a moment, even if you let the light button go. A lot of newer models let you choose between a 1.5 and a 3 seconds backlight.

Cheers,

Sjors
There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.



-------------------------------

This excerpt from a G-SHOCK user manual may be helpful:



Source :
Link 1 - Link 2 - Link 3 

Share this:

 
Copyright © 2014 ALL ABOUT WATCHES. Designed by OddThemes